SAVE THE DATE! Sunday January 28, 2018—The 6th Annual SCBC Herring Celebration—at the Bay Model. See a great film, and enjoy tasty herring dishes from Sausalito restaurants—all while supporting the Sausalito Community Boating Center (SCBC). This year features the Emmy Award-winning film Sonic Sea, and lively music from The Fishwives.
From the fun-loving folks who present the Annual SCBC Sausalito Herring Celebration fundraiser every January, this is a lively event on the Sausalito waterfront to celebrate the fishing and maritime history of Sausalito, to promote the SCBC agenda of environmental stewardship and education, and to raise funds for SCBC. Ever wonder about all the ruckus on the water every January with seals barking and birds diving? The herring fishery is the only commercial fishery inside the Golden Gate Bridge, and Richardson Bay is one of the last places that herring spawn in California. Herring are critical to the ecology of Richardson Bay Sanctuary, and beyond, as an essential prey item for marine birds, whales, seals and larger fish such as salmon. Eel grass beds in Richardson Bay act as a nursery to these baby fish. Come learn all about herring, and truly ‘eat local’ by enjoying tasty dishes made with this shiny fish from right off our shore—served up by some of your favorite local chefs.
- View the very powerful Emmy Award-Winning Film Sonic Sea
- Join a post-film conversation with ocean experts
- enjoy lively musical entertainment by The Fishwives, offical band of Sea Forager
- Indulge in delicious herring dishes presented by Sausalito restaurants
- Take a docent-guided tour of the Tall Ship Matthew Turner
- See an educational whale exhibit from NOAA/Greater Farallones NMS
- AND hear the latest about the SCBC at Cass Gidley Marina project
Participating restaurants include: Fish, Chef Davey Jones, Angelino, Joinery and Osteria Divino. Wine will be on offer, and Fort Point Brew Co. will pour beer. Enjoy popcorn with your movie courtesy of Driver’s Market.
Tickets are $40 for the Film and Herring Plate Lunch. Beverages are $5.
Supporters have a choice of Two Screenings for Sonic Sea
- Ticket#A – Morning: 11:00am Screening + 1:00pm Herring Lunch (Doors Open 10:30am)
- Ticket #B – Afternoon: 1:00pm Herring Lunch + 2:30pm Screening (Doors Open 1:00)
This event is a fundraiser to support Phase I renovation of the SCBC site at Cass Gidley Marina. This vital work will provide safe access to the water so we may begin programming, and is expected to begin this Winter.
NEWS from the SCBC – THE LATEST ON THE PROJECT
While there isn’t much evidence at our marina site, things have been happening behind the scenes… Most recently we are focused on completing the permitting, and raising the funds, for “Phase I: Access” of our site renovation. Phase I is a critical milestone for the project—because it will provide us safe access to the water—and will allow us to begin pilot programs on our own site. The permitting process is taking some time, as we are working closely to align with key agencies (e.g. BCDC—Bay Conservation and Development Commission) and nearby related projects (e.g. Dunphy Park).
• Phase I plans completed—abutment, dock landing and ramp
• Phase I passed Design Review with the City of Sausalito Planning commission—unanimously—January 2017
• Aligned with Dunphy Park Master Plan and BCDC to support Phase I plans
• Building Permit submitted and in final stages with City of Sausalito
• We expect to begin construction this Winter 2017/2018!