Reading the Floating Times online is fun, once you get the hang of it. Remember, wherever you are, you can return to the home page by clicking the house in the blue bar, above the words Floating Times (circled in red above). On a mobile device? Click the words Floating Times to return home.
There are multiple ways to find stories to read in this online newsletter. The first, and most straightforward way, is to read one of the 10 stories on the home page, listed in descending order from the most recent post. (A post is a story.)
But what if you are looking for something in particular? Here are some options:
- If you see something interesting in the sliding photo gallery at the top of the home page (the 6 most recent posts), click on either the photo or the headline (in white). This will take you to the story that relates to that picture/headline.
- You can scroll down the list of 10 most recent posts until you see a headline and introductory sentence that catches your interest. Click on the headline, or the words Read more… to read the whole story.
- Or, at the bottom of a story, you can click to read next post or previous post. The headline is provided to pique your interest.
- What is everyone else reading? On the right sidebar is a list of Most Viewed posts. To read one of those listed, click on the headline or the small photo.
- If you are looking for all the stories in a category such as “DOCK NEWS” or “WARNINGS,” click on the orange button (next to the date) with those words. The Floating Times will then display all the stories in that category.
- You can also click on the tags to see stories on the same topic. Tags are located at the bottom of each post.
- If you are looking for all stories on a certain topic, try clicking on a word (or phrase) in the tag search word cloud in the sidebar. (The more often a word is used to tag a story, the larger the word, or phrase, appears.) All the posts tagged with the same word or phrase, such as “nature photography,” will be displayed as a list, with a headline and introductory sentence.
- Don’t forget the search bar at the top of this site, on the upper right. That’s another way to find something specific.
- Looking for an old story? Posts are archived by year, located at the very bottom of the right sidebar. And to find PDFs of the old Floating Times going way back, click on Back Issues.
- Are you more of an intuitive learner? Move your cursor around the page and see what responds. Many of the above links, as well as links to other sites or posts, will display as underlined, or change color, as you move your cursor over the link.
That’s it! If you have more questions, click on Contact the editor in the footer at the bottom of this website.