The Floating Homes Association’s October 24 Day in the Park is shaping up to be another memorable all-dock extravaganza. Here are some preliminary features of this free event, which will run from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. that Sunday:
- Sterling Johnson, the popular Bubble Guy from years past, will make a return engagement to delight kids, dogs and grownups alike.
- Davey Jones will serve up two types of chowder. To cut down on waste, please bring your own bowl and spoon.
- West Pier’s Heather Lerner will emcee a full day of entertainment, including two new musical acts: a duet named Hauser, consisting of John Barnard and Merrily Weeber, and a trio which includes FHA webmaster Jim Rettew. Other musicians willing to perform should contact Julie Durbin.
- Information tables will offer materials and advice on emergency services and other topics. The FHA’s disaster response trailer will be open to tour, so everyone can learn what emergency supplies are available from the trailer and how to access them.
- Sausalito Village is sponsoring a fire extinguisher re–charge in the nearby parking lot, so check your gauges and bring your extinguishers over between 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m., or buy a new one.
- East Pier is sponsoring lawn games, and other docks are invited to devise games, contests, food booths or exhibits to share.
- The FHA is inviting artists and writers from the community to set up their own display tables around the park perimeter. If you are interested in showcasing your creativity, please contact Michael Labate.
Hopefully by now you’ve seen the colorful flyer on dock bulletin boards calling for folks to participate. It was created by Kathleen Roberts of Van Damme Dock, who is the niece of Alan Watts. Check it out under Upcoming Events and If you’d like to help with this houseboat community event, please contact