Sunday June 4 was overcast and breezy, but dispositions were sunny for the many folks who turned out for the Floating Homes Association’s Day in the Park.
A major innovation this year was to add some exciting fundraising opportunities to the list of activities.
A bake sale brought in over $500, and the Bake-Off Contest was honored to have local baker Sam Schwartz of Portside Bakery judge the creations and award prizes in various categories:
- Two-year-old Edge from Liberty Dock was named Future Star Baker
- Jim Rettew (also of Liberty Dock) won Best New Creation for his Cup Cake Ice Cream Cone
- Barbi Reed (Yellow Ferry) created the Best Loaf Cake
- And Katie Balestieri (Issaquah) was awarded Best in Show for her cheesecake
A silent auction attracted almost $6,000 in bids. Among the successful bidders:
- Dayna West (Yellow Ferry) booked a one week stay on Liberty Dock and Susan White, an East Coast friend of Candice Gold’s, secured a week on an Issaquah home. Both homes were offered by Regina McConahay.
- Malia Rudolf (Issaquah) bought a chauffeured boat ride to Tiburon and cash for a meal from her neighbor Steve Sekhon.
- Ed Lopez (W. Pier) won a Fused Glass Necklace from Katya of Sausalito.
- Joel Ecklund and Sue Dupuis (Gate 6 ½) each acquired a set of golf clubs.
Thanks to everyone who donated dozens of other tempting items for the auction.
The FHA took in 37 new or renewed memberships and $1200 worth of donations for a net income of $2500 after expenses.
Throughout the day, the crowd was continually entertained by
- Joe Tate and Maggie Catfish (Hippie Voices)
- Poet Antanasia Cook
- The Diatomics (Gavin Smith, Brian Green & Nora Stratton)
- Magician and mentalist Jay Alexander
- The Jims (Jim Rettew, Jim Justice, Nora Stratton and Gavin Smith)
- Alchemy (Dave Pangaro, Peter Hanneforth, Arnel Panganiban)
- ChauntiAna Thomas, Performing Stars of Marin
Jill Hoffman, former Sausalito Mayor and current councilmember, served as MC and judge for the ever-popular Pet Parade and Costume Contest. Emcee Heather Lerner presided over both and remarked: “we want to thank all of FHA fur children members for participating in the pet parade, showcasing loyal, sweet, salty, beautiful smiles, bravery and even curing hangovers among their best character traits. A big Woof Woof Hooray to: Tulip, Leeloo & Ruby, Maisie, Salty, Toby Jr., Scout, Chewie, Cookie, Birdie, Marty, Raina, Fred and Shelley!“
Artists and authors from the community showcased their talents for attendees who purchased a number of their works.
Kids enjoyed face painting and bubbles and adults got their fire extinguishers tested and refilled or replaced by Bayside Fire Protection.
Davey Jones dished out 300 servings of his always delicious paella.
Marin County Supervisor Stephanie Moulton-Peters and California Assemblymember Damon Connolly both attended and expressed their support of the recently enacted rent stabilization law for floating homes (AB252).
FHA President Pete Hudson extends heartfelt thanks to the entire Floating Homes community, (including our friends from Galilee Harbor and Varda Landing!) for coming out, taking part, and supporting the FHA. The FHA relies on your membership, your donations and your involvement to help us keep doing all we do. Events like the Day in the Park are possible only because dedicated people give their time and energy to make it happen. This year, as with every year, we rally, and it gets done.
A special thank-you goes out to our FHA Board Secretary Candice Gold and her team (Kimberly Wright, Malia Haas, and Denise Kendall) for dealing with about a thousand details and managing the Silent Auction, Artists, Membership, and FHA promotion. A huge FHA thank you to Julie Durbin for once again lining up great local entertainment, making the Pet Parade and Contest a growing favorite, and getting people to the party like Asym. Connolly. Of course, a special thanks to Heather Lerner who, as MC, pulls it all together and gives the day its form. And where would be without this mighty team of volunteers: Carole Angermeir, Katie & John Balestreri, Larry Clinton, Laura and Graham Creasey, Gene Haley, Nancy Hardaway, Flo Hoylman, Pete Huson, Sue Krenek, Jay Lalezari, Mike Lewis, Lynn Lester, Rebecca Lytle, Jordan McCollum, Laura Wiggins, Lila Penrose, Olivia Pelligra, Barbara Rycerski and Anna Shimko. Let’s not forget our resident cable and power guru, Scoutt Balchowsky from Main Dock and Sound Guy Glen Brown who make it possible for us to hear the music no matter how hard the wind blows.
And, of course, a huge thanks to all the donors and bidders.