Thanks to the efforts of Peter Hudson (Main Dock), the emergency trailer parked along Gate 6 Road is now fully stocked for assistance in emergencies such as sinking, fire, earthquakes and home accidents. It contains:
- Two gas powered water pumps, complete with wagons which can be used to deliver the pumps to homes that are taking on water, plus all the necessary hoses, and a supply of gasoline
- Essential tools
- Communications aids
- General safety gear: Orange Vests, Water rescue throw rope, Orange traffic cones, Hard hats, etc.
- Two automatic external defibrillators (one is currently being repaired)
- A wheelchair that can be borrowed short term
- Basic first aid supplies
- Equipment for setting up a command center
Emergency Services Coordinator Flo Hoylman suggests that residents of each dock should determine who, on their dock, to go to for help with lines or sinking, to facilitate a rapid response. Also, get to know those neighbors who’ve been through Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) training. They’re prepared to help in emergencies.